by Rocio Zamora Arzola
- The Mayan Long Count calendar’s end date, December 21, 2012, is creating quite a stir among New Age enthusiasts, conscious Latinos and the community-at-large.
- The basic idea: 2012 marks the conclusion of a 5,126-year cycle, and with it the end of the world as we know it. Theories about what might happen range from solar storms triggering volcano eruptions to a polar reversal that will make the Earth spin in the opposite direction (CNN.com 1.27.09).
- The doomsday theories surrounding the calendar have sparked websites promoting survival guides and countdown clocks; numerous books; and 2012, a John Cusack-driven flick due out Fall 2009.
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- End of the world or not, the subject of the Mayan Long Count calendar has proved compelling enough to garner a lot of attention from the media and consumers of all cultures. Expect the commotion to reach fever pitch as the date draws closer.
- The Mayan Calendar and Prophecies Explained by Mayan Elder Don Alejandro , Mayan Majix 2009
- Mayan Calendar blog