by Rocio Zamora Arzola
- Sports en español ESPN Deportes-style is getting a boost as the cable and radio network launches its first marketing campaign, simulcasts legendary sportscaster Jorge Ramos and broadcasts games from Spain’s elite La Liga soccer league.
- Big names on the sports and entertainment front, including soccer star Lionel Messi, boxer Juan Manuel Márquez and Mexican rock group Molotov, head the network’s first campaign (MultiChannel.com 8.11.09). The outreach for its SportsCenter program encompasses TV, radio, print, out-of-home and online.
- Jorge Ramos y su Banda, ESPN Deportes Radio’s top daily program, is simulcasting a portion of its soccer-heavy show with new segments exclusively produced for TV (TVLatina.tv 8.17.09).
- In an agreement with GolTV, ESPN Deportes will air 95 La Liga games, including matches between top teams Barcelona and Real Madrid (Sun-Sentinel.com 8.23.09)
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- Simply put, Hispanic-dominant and bicultural Latino male viewers like watching sports. Although many of the must-watch games are in the grasp of Univision or Telemundo, there are no telenovelas to break up the non-stop action and talk on ESPN Deportes.