by Abelardo de la Peña Jr.
- Home decor in a Latino style can be an adventure or an exercise in frustration, especially if the homeowner wants to showcase the diversity of all Latin America rather than just one country or region. Ulalas.com is an online store bringing handcrafted products from different Latino nations together under one online umbrella.
- Founder Sofia Gottfried, whose family is originally from Colombia, created the site that sells handcrafted sustainable tableware, linens, ceramics, art and accessories that can mix with a variety of home décor styles.
- A bestseller: La Chamba pottery — baking dishes, soup bowls and servers formed from black clay dug near Colombia’s Magdalena River — which goes from oven to microwave to tabletop (HomeAccentsToday.com 5.11.10).
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- Latinos who treasure their roots, have a sense of pride in things made in Latin America, and value variety have much to love in a site like this.
- Items that embody the rich colors and intricate handiwork of artisans from south of the border are welcome in contemporary households.