by Rocio Zamora Arzola
- One winery is doing more than just toasting increased U.S. Latino wine consumption. Beringer Vineyards is launching a multifaceted campaign targeting Latinos’ growing thirst for the fruit of the vine. Its approach: making wine part of Latino traditions.
- Since 2005, wine consumption among Latinos has grown by 35%, about three times the rate of the general market, with Latinos accounting for about 50% of growth in the wine category (AdAge.com 9.13.10).
- Under the theme “Invita el sabor” (Welcome the flavor), Beringer’s Spanish-language TV spot is set at a backyard barbecue, a family dinner and a kitchen where a couple cook.
- Beringer winemaker Leticia Chacon Rodriguez is hosting vignettes on Spanish-language lifestyle programs. Print material includes information on which wine varietals pair best with Latino food.
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- Latino wine drinkers have been feeling ignored, as beer and tequila get the bulk of attention from advertisers. If Beringer is able to authentically tap into Latino culture, it stands to make an impact with that growing wine-drinking demographic.