by Stefania Revelli
- A group of Texas teens at Colleyville Heritage High School are rebelling against modern beauty standards by going makeup-free once every week (Jezebel.com, 9 October 2010).
- The initiative was inspired by a beauty website and spearheaded by a student club called Redefining Beautiful. Every Tuesday, the girls wear T-shirts with the slogan “Redefining Beautiful, One Girl at a Time” and go makeup free.
- The effort started with just over two dozen participants and has now expanded to include 200 of the high school’s girls.
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- There’s beauty and power in numbers. As magazine cover girls and images of perfection portray unattainable goals, young women can feel safer about getting real when they band together.
- One day a week may not seem like much of a statement, but it’s still 20% of the school week dedicated to making a point.