by Kate Connolly
- Nooka Inc., a fashion brand known for its wristwatches, teamed up with designer Karim Rashid to create the Yogurt by Karim line of watches.
- The timepieces are packaged in plastic tubs like those used for food. Made of transparent plastic, the packaging shows off the vibrantly colored watches.
- Text on the lid has fun with the product name, explaining that the watch “is good for your visual health” and delivers “pro-aesthetics and popular culture” the way yogurt delivers probiotics and yogurt cultures. The theme carries over into the names of the watch models, with monikers like Yogurt Blueberry and Yogurt Non Fat.
- The timepieces are made using flexible polyurethane, and they feature Nooka’s first circular watch display. Digital hexagons create the hour marker in the center of the display, and rays fanning out around the display mark the minutes. The Yogurt watches sell for $130 at the Nooka website.
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- Borrowing from another product category makes the statement that the brand is unconventional, innovative and willing to look outside its own backyard for design cues. Plus, food and fashion synergies are heating up right now.
- Injecting some humor into the packaging copy keeps things in perspective. It’s not a yes or no proposition — accessories can be both style-forward and fun.