by Robert van Alstyne
- In February 2011 we tracked Web sentiment around five trash-to-treasure television programs.
- PBS’ old standby Antiques Roadshow came out on top with 48% positive sentiment. A pair of more recent arrivals on the thrift-show scene from the History Channel came in second (Pawn Stars, 38% positive sentiment) and third (American Pickers, 36% positive sentiment). Discovery Channel’s Auction Kings placed fourth with 33% positive sentiment, and recent A&E addition Storage Wars brought up the rear with 28% positive sentiment.
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- When it comes to pawn-related programming, consumers prefer heartwarming stories of discovery and good-luck providence befalling Main Street Americans (Antiques Roadshow) over hard-knuckled professionals profiting from the misfortunes that have befallen others (the repossessed storage-container buyers making a living in Storage Wars).
- Antiques Roadshow official site
- Pawn Stars official site
- American Pickers official site
- Auction Kings official site
- Storage Wars official site