by Abelardo de la Pena Jr.
- Two must-watch ABC sitcoms in a SoCal bicultural midlifer household took on a bicultural turn themselves, commercials and all (Iconoculture observation, 11 May 2011).
- In Modern Family, Gloria, played by Sofia Vergara, gets her husband Jay to hear a business pitch from her friend Guillermo. Jay berates her compassion, while she comments on his coldness. In the end, Jay warms up … to Guillermo’s dog.
- In Cougar Town, Andy, played by Ian Gomez, gets a visit from his brother Nestor. One problem: Andy and Nestor don’t converse because Andy never learned Spanish and Nestor won’t speak to him in English. Jules, played by Courteney Cox, along with best friends Ellie and Laurie, scold Ian … in fluent Spanish.
- VW’s spot for the 2011 Tiguan demonstrated the SUV’s strength with an unbreakable SUV-shaped piñata. Kia’s Optima spot showed the car being venerated by feather-bedecked Aztec warriors. Honda Civic’s spot showed Cesar, the champion luchador.
- Kaiser Permanente’s spot depicted apples, popcorn and beach balls raining from the sky, while a song sung in Spanish reflected the HMO’s tag line, “Viva Bien” (Live Well).
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS