by Sairica Rose
- Breaking up is never easy to do, but the Dutch Heartbreak Hotel service offers separating couples a speedy and well-assisted divorce in 48 hours (Springwise.com, 13 July 2011).
- For €2,500, the estranged couple is booked into separate 5-star hotels for a weekend, while the company handles all the paperwork. Financial consultants, lawyers and child psychologists are also provided where necessary, to help the passage to singledom run more smoothly.
- When the weekend is over, the couple signs the necessary documents and the divorce is passed to the courts.
- Both husband and wife must be sure of what they want for the service to be effective. Company founder Jim Halfen claims: “Both parties have to be firmly committed to the idea of divorce. If they aren’t, the concept simply doesn’t work” (DailyMail.co.uk, 8 July 2011).
- Heartbreak Hotel offers its services in hotels throughout Holland and Belgium.
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- Products and services that lessen the ache in breaking up — and offer a little sanctuary — suit couples wanting to go their separate ways without acrimony.
- Packages offering A-Z professional services can appeal to consumers of all ages wary of getting bogged down in red tape and legal jargon.