by Rachna Bisht
- These are the wonder women of new generation India — a team of six girls in uniform who jumped out of an AN-32 aircraft at the Hindon Air Base, Delhi, on 6 October, 2011.
- The first all-women skydiving team of the Indian Air Force made its official debut at the annual Air Force Day parade.
- The women leapt out of the aircraft at an altitude of 8,000 feet and touched down on the tarmac seven minutes later after going through a star formation in the sky.
- Team leader Wing Commander EKN Swaroop is a mother of two kids and has performed a total of 560 jumps in the last 11 years (Deccan Herald, 7 October 2011).
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- Women have been making their presence felt in the Indian Defence services as they crumble one male bastion after another. While women are still away from the combat services, they have been given the option to take a permanent commission in the Army.
- The all-women skydiving team has touched one more milestone.The sky-divers in the team have been pulled out from several branches of the IAF such as technical, logistics, accounts and education.