by Lindsay Paterson
- Burger chain Quick — McDonald’s biggest competitor in France — has launched a set of three original burgers to mark the launch of Star Wars in 3D in France and Belgium (BusinessInsider.com, 6 January 2012).
- The most innovative is the Dark Vador, which is served in a black bun coloured with medicinal charcoal to give it its dense and surprising colour.
- The bun is sprinkled with poppy seeds and black pepper, and the burger itself comes with pepper sauce and chilli-cheddar.
- The Dark Vador and the other two burgers, the Dark Maul (in a red bun) and the light-coloured Jedi burger will be available as a limited edition during the launch period of the film (31 January-5 March 2012).
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- Picking up on a cultural icon and creating a surprising product to go with it is a great way to tap into consumers’ craving for cool in all aspects of their life.
- Fun and intrigue, novelty and experimentation create a buzz round the brand and ensure that consumers will be queueing up to check it out.