by Samina Virani
- Dubai residents can now order their favorite pizza simply by pressing a special refrigerator magnet. This one-step gadget is a first in the fast food industry (DigitalTrends.com, 26 March 2012).
- Created by the Dubai-based Red Tomato Pizza, the magnet button is synced to a user’s smartphone via Bluetooth. The Red Tomato customer has on file his or her favorite pizza choice, payment info and address.
- When the “Push for Hunger” button is activated, the order is seamlessly placed and a confirmation SMS is sent to the user’s phone. And if you pushed in haste, there is the option to cancel the order by sending a reply text.
- The VIP Fridge Magnet has been so popular that Red Tomato has run out of them. Unlike its wood-fired pizzas, the next batch of magnets will take 6-8 weeks to arrive.
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- In a world where consumers would rather text than talk, and time spent chatting is time wasted, the pizza magnet speaks to the customer who wants speed, convenience and efficiency.
- But is it too easy? We are already increasingly living in a cashless society where the price of everyday items are not top of mind. And when you add the instant gratification to the mix, satisfying our every want becomes dangerously easy.