by Rebecca de Vaux
- The Thirsty Bear pub in South London is using tablet technology to help punters order food, drink and update their social network status without leaving their table (FT.com, 7 June 2012).
- Table-side iPads and serve-yourself beer taps enable customers to order food and drink for self- or waiter-service. To start an electronic tab, punters simply leave a credit card behind the bar in order to add to their bill.
- Finger clicking is no longer required to grab waiters’ attention. Connected consumers can simply text staff direct via an instant messenger app to alert them that they require table service.
- It’s not just tech-savvy twenty-somethings frequenting the high-tech boozer. Queue-hating older drinkers and time-urgent City slickers are drinking up the convenience that beer taps and tablet-enabled top-ups bring to their modern pub.
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- Mobile technology and self-service solutions empower British consumers to get a better service by letting them call the shots.
- Traditional British institutions are Torquing their offering with modern technology for consumers who expect a fresh and efficient service.