by Cree McCree
- Physique 57′s Katie Mitchell? “Total rockstar of a teacher.” Chris Griffin at Equinox? “James. F*ing. Bond.” But skip Danielle Wettan’s Crunch class: “Maybe I signed up for karaoke by accident?” Fitness buffs weigh in on their instructors’ prowess (or lack thereof) at RateYourBurn.
- Burners rate teachers on intensity, cardio and strength, and also award points for knee-friendly, stretch, music and crowd. Written reviews personalize ratings with raves and rants: “Don’t ignore your newbies!” (We’re talkin’ to you, Alana Epstein).
- Currently covering the New York metro area, RateYourBurn plans to go bicoastal and issued a call to L.A. bloggers to jump into the fray.
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- Gym agnostics don’t care about facilities. They want rockstar instructors, and they’ll go to the mat for teachers who turn their crank. Whether they’re pumping iron or sweating it out in hot yoga, RateYourBurn bloggers are as passionate about fitness as foodies are about the latest locavore restaurant.
- Though the reviews are sometimes painful to read, they are also useful tools for instructors looking to grow their classes. One recurring throughline: Burners crave personal attention.