by Lindsay Paterson
- French dating site Adopte un Mec (Adopt a Guy) is opening pop-up shops around France and flaunting its product range (i.e. available men), in the shop windows (LeParisien.fr, 15 September 2012).
- Men who are registered with the site are displayed as though they were life-size dolls, in giant plastic boxes labelled with their top characteristic. Men are displayed as adventurers, geeks, surfers or hipsters, with the clothes and accessories to match.
- Inside the stores, more men are on display — either in real life, or through photos — to encourage single girls to shop for the man of their dreams.
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- France is still a relatively macho society where it’s rare for men to “sell” themselves and their attributes to women.
- Empowering women to take control of their dating decisions feels right for young women, who are confident and fearless about driving their own destiny.