by Janelle Gergen
- Who needs a remote to pause a show or movie? Camera-lens-driven media service PredictGaze can be used to pause TV programs automatically when the viewer walks away (GizMag.com, 12 October 2012).
- PredictGaze uses a standard webcam to detect faces and can tell when no one is watching. It resumes the show when the faces return.
- The technology can also be used to protect private information on a laptop or tablet using the device’s forward-facing camera lenses. PredictGaze recognizes when someone other than the regular user is looking at the device and automatically darkens the screen.
- In the future, the company proposes using PredictGaze to detect the ages of people in the room and block inappropriate content.
WHAT THIS MEANS TO BUSINESS
- With the rise of intuitive tech, consumers are expecting more from their devices and are looking for simple and convenient controls. Even better are innovations that do all the work for them.
- Since PredictGaze works with a regular webcam, it should be fairly affordable, which will help it grab the attention of price-savvy consumers on the lookout for convenience without the cost.